This is an open letter to the Republican candidates for president. I know they’ll never see it. I realize that my core readership could probably be counted on both hands, and I’m being generous here but readership (although I love you all to pieces) is not why I write. I partially write to keep my self sane, partially to prove to the nuns who thought I couldn’t write that they were wrong but mostly because at the last day I want on record that I tried to help. I tried to interject some common sense, some civility, some integrity into the debate. I will have failed of course. We have left civilized behavior behind, common sense is now uncommon sense and very few people have ever heard the word integrity much less know it’s definition or can use it in a sentence. Oh well, on with the exercise in futility.
Now is the time to realize that the light you see in the tunnel is a train. Yes, a train wreck is poised to happen and the main stream media and your competition are waiting with bated breath. They’re fairly foaming at the mouth in anticipation of the professional wrestling cage match that will occur from now until the convention, when after soiling your dens you will expect the party faithful to fall in line like good little sheeple.
As usual you have refused to learn from even recent history. The convention of 2008, after the backroom deals between McCain and Huckabee to keep Romney out of contention, couldn’t even be saved by Sarah Palin herself. The darling of the Tea Party couldn’t overcome the distaste which you foisted upon those of us on the right. Some of us held our noses and voted for McCain but many simply stayed home and voted for none of the above (which should be on every election ballot, by the way). Look what it got us. An inexperienced, incompetent, socialist-communist, hedonist, quasi-religionist with delusions of relevancy. Our economy’s in the tank, our foreign policies are a disaster and our country’s being invaded every minute by people who’s main goal is to get as much money as fast as possible before we are all living in a ditch with a tin roof.
So, what to do, what to do?
1. Stop telling us what the other guy has said, will say and is saying right now, you’re not Dan Rather, Katie Couric or Bryan Williams. We’re not stupid and the mainstream media is going to do a hatchet job on them anyway so why bother. Tell us your message, your plan, your intentions. It is not your job to vet the candidate, that’s our job.
2. Stop pandering to the mainstream press. Barbara Walters, Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz are never going to like you or give you a fair shake. Spend you’re time meeting real people, go on talk shows that will at least give you an even chance to get your message across.
3. Stop focusing on this state or that state. You want to be president of the United States. Visit folks in all the states you can get to.
4 Don’t back down from a fight with the media or the left.
5. Say what you mean, mean what you say.
6. Develop an attitude of gratitude and share that with everyone you come in contact with.
7. Most importantly look up INTEGRITY in the dictionary. Memorize it, practice it, live it, embody it.
Then maybe we won’t have to suffer through 4 more years of president Obamalamadingdong and his coven of cravens. Good luck and God bless.